Meet the Artist
Welcome to my website! I’m Danielle - a self-taught Canadian artist, passionate about creating abstract paintings and mixed media art. I work from my (very messy) home studio in Lake Country, BC. Aside from being an artist, I’m also a mother of 2, an entrepreneur, a coffee-addict, and a devoted aunt/sister/daughter.
Although I have always loved the arts, it wasn’t until 2006 that really began to experiment with paint. I was expecting my first child and was in search of a hobby to keep me home behaving for nine months. After a trip to my local art supplies store, I was hooked. My painting style is the culmination of a decade-long exploration journey through canvas, and the result of many trials and many errors. My style is ever-evolving. Acrylic paint is my medium of choice, but I also love to incorporate collage elements, spray paints, oil pastels and other textures. Most of the time, I have no idea where my inspiration comes from. When I get the urge to paint, I paint. I believe that the universe has a plan for each of us, and for whatever reason, creating art is part of my plan.
I have always thrived on diversity and change and am very much an “all or nothing” personality type. I go through extreme phases of painting 24/7 and ignoring the real world, and then I (thankfully) take breaks to come back and live in reality. In 2016, I made the decision to return to school full-time. I am currently working towards a business degree. Unfortunately, this leaves me very little time to create new work. Painting will always be something that I come back to after other goals have been met – so stay tuned.
Thank you for being part of my journey!
For those of you who would prefer to read a list of random facts about me - that have nothing to do with my career as an artist - as opposed to my boring bio, this is for you ;)
- I am the proud mom of 2 amazing kids - they are the loves of my life!!!
- My favorite color is purple.
- I am a Sagittarius.
- My name means "God is my judge".
- I recycle.
- I don't like talking about my art, but I love making it!!
- I believe in aliens.
- I swear way too much.
- I'm usually listening to hip hop music when I paint.
- My immediate family members are my BFFs.
- Going to hair salons freaks me out more than dentist offices.
- Staying in on a Friday night to binge-watch Game of Thrones is my idea of a great time. #MomLife
- I support gay marriage.
- I am pro-choice.
- I support medicinal marijuana.
- I am a dog person.
- I don't cry very often and have been accused of lacking sensitivity.
- I believe the universe has a plan for us and that everything happens for a reason.
- I am crazy disorganized and my house is alllllllways a mess.
- There was a time in my life that I sold extravagant toilets to make a living. No lie.
- I'm a freak about spelling and grammar.
- If I could have one super power, it would be to eat whatever I wanted without getting fat :)