About the Artist
Welcome to my website! I’m Danielle Harshenin - a bona fide Okanagan girl, born and raised in this beautiful valley that I'm proud to still call home. I am a mother of two, an entrepreneur, a devoted daughter/sister/aunty, coffee-addict, and a self-taught contemporary abstract artist!
Although I have always had a great appreciation for the arts, it wasn't until 2006 that I began exploring the art realm myself. I was expecting my first child and was in search of a hobby that would keep me at home behaving for nine months. After a lively trip to my local Opus store, I was hooked.
A common question that I am asked is “where do you get your inspiration from?” This question can be difficult for me to answer. Although some of my pieces were inspired by something specific, most of my work is simply the result of trial and error. I learn something new with every canvas that I undertake! My current work is the culmination of a decade-long artistic exploration journey, and is the expression of my present but ever-evolving painting style.
I have always thrived on diversity and change and am very much an “all or nothing” personality type. I go through extreme phases of painting 24/7 and ignoring the real world, and then I (thankfully) take breaks to come back to reality. In 2016, I made the decision to return to school full-time. I am currently working towards a business degree. Unfortunately, this leaves me very little time to create new work. However, painting will always be something that I come back to after other goals have been met – so stay tuned!
Danielle Harshenin (2017)
My messy studio in Lake Country, BC!
This is a list of random facts about me... for those of you who would rather read weird stuff about me that has nothing to do with my career as an artist, rather than my boring bio!! :-)
- I am the proud mom of 2 amazing kids! They are the loves of my life!!!
- My favorite color is purple.
- I am a Sagittarius.
- My name means "God is my judge".
- I recycle.
- I don't like talking about my art, but I love making it!!
- I believe in aliens.
- I swear way too much.
- I listen to rap music when I paint.
- My immediate family members are my BFFs.
- Going to hair salons freaks me out more than dentist offices.
- Staying in on a Friday night to binge-watch Game of Thrones is my idea of a great time. #MomLife
- I support gay marriage.
- I am pro-choice.
- I support medicinal marijuana.
- I am a dog person.
- I don't cry very often and have been accused of lacking sensitivity.
- I believe everything happens for a reason.
- I am crazy disorganized and my house is alllllllways a mess.
- There was a time in my life that I sold extravagant toilets to make a living. No lie.
- My favorite place on earth (besides BC) is Hawaii!
- I'm a freak about spelling and grammar.
- If I could have one super power, it would be to eat whatever I wanted without getting fat.
- If you are single and look like Dwayne Johnson or Jason Momoa, we need to meet ASAP!!
- I believe in a collective consciousness and that we are all responsible for what we contribute to it.